I’m in the final stages of my D.Phil. in Experimental Psychology at the Crossmodal Research Laboratory, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford. In addition, I’m working as Visiting Research Fellow at Sussex University. My research focuses on crossmodal correspondences. In particular, I’m working on taste/flavour-vision correspondences and their applications to multisensory experience design. I also work with the industry. I co-founded NEUROSKETCH and have worked on a number of start-up and consultancy projects.
Both, as a the co-founder of NEUROSKETCH, and from the Crossmodal Research Laboratory, I have designed and developed projects for Diageo, Roja Dove, Takasago, Seguros Bolívar, Colombina, Sea Tech, Givaudan, Dow Chemical, Pfizer, Terpel, and many other companies from around the world, in a variety of topics such as multisensory experience design, food and drink, packaging, branding, consumer research, advertising, marketing, and innovation.
I have participated in several conferences including IMRF, Pangborn, SXSW, ABA, Digital Biscuit, and ESOMAR. My research has been published in journals such as Perception, Food Quality and Preference, Frontiers in Psychology, Journal of Sensory Studies, and Flavour, and has been covered by several media news (i.e., BBC, ScienceShot, Daily Mail, and NPR). I have also been invited as a speaker to various companies, universities (e.g., Oxford, Sussex, Harvard, Sabana, Javeriana), and events (e.g., Experimental Food Society, Royal Institution, Digital Biscuit), and have taught several tutorials and seminars in Experimental Psychology and Marketing.
- Velasco, C., Woods, A. T., Deroy, O., & Spence, C. (2015). Hedonic mediation of the crossmodal correspondence between taste and shape. Food Quality and Preference, 41, 151-158. [link]
- Spence, C., Velasco, C., Knoeferle, K. (2014). A large sample study on the influence of the multisensory environment on the wine drinking experience. Flavour, 3:8. [link]
- Michel, C., Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., & Spence, C. (2014). The Butcher’s Tongue Illusion. Perception, 43, 818-824. [link]
- Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., Marmolejo-Ramos, F., & Spence, C. (2014). Predictive packaging design: Tasting shapes, typographies, names, and sounds. Food Quality and Preference, 34, 88-95. [link]
Selected conference presentations
- Olivero, N., Maggioni, E., Gatti, E., Velasco, C., & Spence, C. (2014). Ambient scent cue increases positive emotions and willingness to consume scent-related products. At the Society for Consumer Psychology, Miami, USA.
- Maric, Y., Velasco, C., Spence, C., & Jacquot, M. (2013). On the colours of odours: Are the French really so different from the British? At the 14th International Multisensory Research Forum, Jerusalem, Israel. [link]
- Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., Gómez, C., Maya, C., & Spence, C. (2013). Assessing the influence of shape on consumer’s visual exploration of product packaging. At the 10th Pangborn Sensory Science Symposium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.