I’m currently working as a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Imagineering Institute (Malaysia) led by Prof. Adrian Cheok. I obtained my undergraduate degree in Psychology at Universidad de los Andes (Colombia) and recently, my D.Phil. in Experimental Psychology at the Crossmodal Research Laboratory led by Prof. Charles Spence, at the Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford (UK). During my D.Phil., I visited Prof. Jeremy Wolfe’s Visual Attention Lab as a Research Trainee and worked as a Visiting Research Fellow at the School of Informatics and Engineering at Sussex University.
My research focuses on applied crossmodal correspondences. I’m interested in the applications of my research, which has led me to work on a number of entrepreneurial projects. Together with some colleagues, we founded NEUROSKETCH and are now working on a number of start-up and consultancy projects (see below).
I have participated in several conferences including IMRF, Pangborn, SXSW, ABA, Digital Biscuit, and ESOMAR. My research has been published in journals such as Frontiers in Psychology, Perception, Food Quality and Preference, Journal of Sensory Studies, and Flavour, and has been covered by several media news (i.e., BBC, ScienceShot, Daily Mail, and NPR). I have also been invited as a speaker to various companies, universities (e.g., Oxford, Sussex, Harvard, Sabana, Javeriana), and events (e.g., Experimental Food Society, Royal Institution, Digital Biscuit), and have taught several tutorials and seminars in Experimental Psychology and Marketing.
Both, as a the co-founder of NEUROSKETCH (and FFR, a new project), and from the Crossmodal Research Laboratory, I have designed and developed projects for Diageo, Roja Dove, Takasago, Seguros Bolívar, Colombina, Sea Tech, Givaudan, Dow Chemical, Pfizer, Terpel, and many other companies from around the world, in a variety of topics such as multisensory experience design, food and drink, packaging, branding, consumer research, advertising, marketing, research, and innovation.
- Velasco, C., Wan, C., Knoeferle, K., Zhou, X., Salgado-Montejo, A., & Spence, C. (2015). Searching for flavor labels in food products: The influence of color-flavor congruence and association strength. Frontiers in Psychology, 6, 301. [link]
- Velasco, C., Woods, A. T., Deroy, O., & Spence, C. (2015). Hedonic mediation of the crossmodal correspondence between taste and shape. Food Quality and Preference, 41, 151-158. [link]
- Spence, C., Velasco, C., Knoeferle, K. (2014). A large sample study on the influence of the multisensory environment on the wine drinking experience. Flavour, 3:8. [link]
- Michel, C., Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., & Spence, C. (2014). The Butcher’s Tongue Illusion. Perception, 43, 818-824. [link]
- Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., Marmolejo-Ramos, F., & Spence, C. (2014). Predictive packaging design: Tasting shapes, typographies, names, and sounds. Food Quality and Preference, 34, 88-95. [link]
Selected conference presentations
- Knoeferle, K., Knoeferle, P., Velasco, C., & Spence, C. (2014). Multisensory brand search: How the meaning of sound guides consumers’ visual attention. Association for Consumer Research, October 2014, Baltimore, MD, USA. [link]
- Maric, Y., Velasco, C., Spence, C., & Jacquot, M. (2013). On the colours of odours: Are the French really so different from the British? At the 14th International Multisensory Research Forum, Jerusalem, Israel. [link]
- Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., Gómez, C., Maya, C., & Spence, C. (2013). Assessing the influence of shape on consumer’s visual exploration of product packaging. At the 10th Pangborn Sensory Science Symposium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.