I am a D.Phil. researcher in Experimental Psychology at the Crossmodal Research Laboratory, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford. My DPhil research focuses on crossmodal correspondences and visual attention, and its applications to multisensory experience design. I also work with the industry. I co-founded NEUROSKETCH and have worked on a number of start-up and consultancy projects.
Both, as a the co-founder of NEUROSKETCH, and from the Crossmodal Research Laboratory, I have designed and developed projects for Diageo, Roja Dove, Takasago, Seguros Bolívar, Colombina, Sea Tech, Givaudan, Dow Chemical, Pfizer, Terpel, and many other companies from around the world, in a variety of topics such as multisensory experience design, food and drink, packaging, branding, consumer research, advertising, marketing, and innovation.
Specifically, I’m working on flavour/taste – vision interactions and visual search, and applied crossmodal correspondences. I have participated in several conferences including IMRF, Pangborn, SXSW, ABA, Digital Biscuit, and ESOMAR. My research has been published in journals such as Perception, Food Quality and Preference, Journal of Sensory Studies, and Flavour, and has been covered by several media news (i.e., BBC, ScienceShot, Daily Mail, and NPR). I have also been invited as a speaker to various companies, universities (e.g., Oxford, Sussex, Harvard, Sabana, Javeriana), and events (e.g., Experimental Food Society, Royal Institution, Digital Biscuit), and have taught several tutorials and seminars in Experimental Psychology and Marketing.
- Spence, C., Velasco, C., Knoeferle, K. (2014). A large sample study on the influence of the multisensory environment on the wine drinking experience. Flavour, 3:8.
- Michel, C., Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., & Spence, C. (2014). The Butcher’s tongue illusion. Perception, 43, 818-824. [link]
- Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., Marmolejo-Ramos, F., & Spence, C. (2014) Predictive packaging design: Tasting shapes, typographies, names, and sounds. Food Quality and Preference, 34, 88-95. [link]
- Velasco, C., Jones, R., King, S., & Spence, C. (2013). The sound of temperature: What information do pouring sounds convey concerning the temperature of a beverage. The Journal of Sensory Studies, 28(5), 335-345. [link]
Selected conference presentations
- Olivero, N., Maggioni, E., Gatti, E., Velasco, C., & Spence, C. (2014). Ambient scent cue increases positive emotions and willingness to consume scent-related products. Society for Consumer Psychology, 2014, Miami, USA.
- Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., Gómez, C., Maya, C., & Spence, C. (2013). Assessing the influence of shape on consumer’s visual exploration of product packaging. 10th Pangborn Sensory Science Symposium, 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Maric, Y., Velasco, C., Spence, C., & Jacquot, M. (2013). On the colours of odours: Are the French really so different from the British? International Multisensory Research Forum, 2013, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel. [link]