I’m in the final stages of my D.Phil. in Experimental Psychology at the Crossmodal Research Laboratory, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford. In addition, I’m working as Visiting Research Fellow at Sussex University. My research focuses on crossmodal correspondences. In particular, I’m working on taste/flavour-vision correspondences. I also work with the industry. I co-founded NEUROSKETCH and have worked on a number of start-up and consultancy projects (see below).
I have participated in several conferences including IMRF, Pangborn, SXSW, ABA, Digital Biscuit, and ESOMAR. My research has been published in journals such as Frontiers in Psychology, Perception, Food Quality and Preference, Journal of Sensory Studies, and Flavour, and has been covered by several media news (i.e., BBC, ScienceShot, Daily Mail, and NPR). I have also been invited as a speaker to various companies, universities (e.g., Oxford, Sussex, Harvard, Sabana, Javeriana), and events (e.g., Experimental Food Society, Royal Institution, Digital Biscuit), and have taught several tutorials and seminars in Experimental Psychology and Marketing.
Both, as a the co-founder of NEUROSKETCH, and from the Crossmodal Research Laboratory, I have designed and developed projects for Diageo, Roja Dove, Takasago, Seguros Bolívar, Colombina, Sea Tech, Givaudan, Dow Chemical, Pfizer, Terpel, and many other companies from around the world, in a variety of topics such as multisensory experience design, food and drink, packaging, branding, consumer research, advertising, marketing, research, and innovation.
- Velasco, C., Wan, C., Knoeferle, K., Zhou, X., Salgado-Montejo, A., & Spence, C. (2015). Searching for flavor labels in food products: The influence of color-flavor congruence and association strength. Frontiers in Psychology, 6, 301. [link]
- Velasco, C., Woods, A. T., Deroy, O., & Spence, C. (2015). Hedonic mediation of the crossmodal correspondence between taste and shape. Food Quality and Preference, 41, 151-158. [link]
- Spence, C., Velasco, C., Knoeferle, K. (2014). A large sample study on the influence of the multisensory environment on the wine drinking experience. Flavour, 3:8. [link]
- Michel, C., Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., & Spence, C. (2014). The Butcher’s Tongue Illusion. Perception, 43, 818-824. [link]
- Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., Marmolejo-Ramos, F., & Spence, C. (2014). Predictive packaging design: Tasting shapes, typographies, names, and sounds. Food Quality and Preference, 34, 88-95. [link]
Selected conference presentations
- Knoeferle, K., Knoeferle, P., Velasco, C., & Spence, C. (2014). Multisensory brand search: How the meaning of sound guides consumers’ visual attention. Association for Consumer Research, October 2014, Baltimore, MD, USA. [link]
- Maric, Y., Velasco, C., Spence, C., & Jacquot, M. (2013). On the colours of odours: Are the French really so different from the British? At the 14th International Multisensory Research Forum, Jerusalem, Israel. [link]
- Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., Gómez, C., Maya, C., & Spence, C. (2013). Assessing the influence of shape on consumer’s visual exploration of product packaging. At the 10th Pangborn Sensory Science Symposium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.