I am a D.Phil. student of Experimental Psychology at the Crossmodal Research Laboratory led by Prof. Charles Spence, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford. My research focuses on crossmodal correspondences and information processing, and its applications to multisensory experience design.
I have participated in both academic and industry congresses including SPSP, IMRF, Pangborn, SXSW, ABA, Digital Biscuit, and ESOMAR. My research has been published in journals such as Perception, Food Quality and Preference, Journal of Sensory Studies, and Flavour, and has been covered by several media news, for example, BBC, ScienceShot, Daily Mail, and NPR. Below you can see a list of some of my academic publications and conference presentations.
I am the former CEO and one of the co-founders of NEUROSKETCH, a Colombian company that conducts applied research in the field of consumer psychology and neuroscience for organizations. Both as NEUROSKETCH’s CEO and while doing research at the Crossmodal Research Lab at Oxford University, I have worked with Diageo, Roja Dove, Takasago, Seguros Bolívar, Colombina, Sea Tech, Givaudan, Dow Chemical, Pfizer, Terpel, and many other companies around the world, in a variety of topics such as multisensory design, packaging, branding, advertising, and marketing. In addition to my D.Phil. research at Oxford, I work as a consultant/speaker for companies on these topics.
- Michel, C., Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., & Spence, C. (2014). The Butcher’s tongue illusion. Perception, 43, 818-824. [link]
- Velasco, C., Wan, X., Salgado-Montejo, A., Woods, A., Onate, G., Mi, B., & Spence, C. (2014). The context of colour-flavour associations in crisps packaging: A cross-cultural study comparing Chinese, Colombian, and British consumers. Food Quality and Preference, 38, 49-57. [link]
- Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., Marmolejo-Ramos, F., & Spence, C. (2014) Predictive packaging design: Tasting shapes, typographies, names, and sounds. Food Quality and Preference, 34, 88-95. [link]
- Velasco, C., Jones, R., King, S., & Spence, C. (2013). The sound of temperature: What information do pouring sounds convey concerning the temperature of a beverage. The Journal of Sensory Studies, 28(5), 335-345. [link]
Selected conference presentations
- Olivero, N., Maggioni, E., Gatti, E., Velasco, C., & Spence, C. (2014). Ambient scent cue increases positive emotions and willingness to consume scent-related products. Society for Consumer Psychology, 2014, Miami, USA.
- Velasco, C., Salgado-Montejo, A., Gómez, C., Maya, C., & Spence, C. (2013). Assessing the influence of shape on consumer’s visual exploration of product packaging. 10th Pangborn Sensory Science Symposium, 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Maric, Y., Velasco, C., Spence, C., & Jacquot, M. (2013). On the colours of odours: Are the French really so different from the British? International Multisensory Research Forum, 2013, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel. [link]